Sunday, April 24, 2011

A to Z Challenge




S is for Speedway

I grew up on the west side of Indianapolis in a town called Speedway. I can't say enough nice things about the town. Looking back, it was the perfect place to live and to have a family.


Speedway has 2 really nice parks - Meadowood and Leonard. I always loved Meadowood because there were so many more trees and also because of this Pumpkin Carriage. I spent so much time as a kid playing in this thing! Loved it!

This is Speedway High School. Class of 87 !

Our mascot, Sparky - the - Sparkplug
Yes, we got teased a lot.

The Indy 500, This is why we were called the SparkPlugs :)
During the month of May, there is no place in this world I would rather be.
Sadly, I don't get to go every year - work and family obligations have taken over, but for 37 years I never missed a race! It will always be the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.


Union Jacks - One of my Speedway Favorites! How I miss the deep dish Spinach and Mushroom Pizza!

Charlie Browns - Another Speedway place that I really miss! The Best Breakfast!

There are so many great things about this town. The community is strong, the schools are top-notch, people take pride in their homes and you are only minutes away from Downtown Indy and the airport. No matter where I live - Speedway will always be home to me.

No comments: